Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Spicing Up Black

I was given two black dresses for the girls, and this is what i did to spice it up.

Am sure you’re thinking ‘black for girls, why?’ who would make a black dress for little girls, anyway how can an imaginative seamstress (i hope) like me refuse anything i know i can work on, right?
So i gladly took it and decided to spice it up with an orange bolero and orange trimmings.

Original dress

The embellished flower detail. 
  How a little detail could make all the difference.

Extra pins to prevent stretch.
Tips: when sewing stretch fabric (the orange fabric, a polyester blend of some sort has some stretch) put in a lot pins like in the picture to prevent the fabric stretching as you sew. The seams were sewn without removing the pins.

Can you see the square patch?  I burnt that part while ironing so i cut a small piece of lining , hemmed it all around  and  ironed it on with a bond a web. lol

This one has been finished with a button at the top for closure, but am not yet sure that is the right colour button to use. might change it into a round cream button??

Finished Product

The bolero pattern used is the same one used in the velvet bolero. Will be doing a tutorial on that soon for anyone interested in a bit of pattern alteration. :)
Now my dress is much better i can wear it out and look flash.  (but with shoes  mummy)

You can see her holding my phone, she wont have agreed to be my model (which she did well) without it. ha ha
This is all for now. Until time permits, Adios.
Thanks for visiting.

Monday, 12 March 2012

Birthday in Gold and Organza

This is a two layered dress. the bottom has a layer of beaded flower organza and gold satin, (and lining)
I got the inspiration for this birthday dress from  simplicity's 2463 pattern, using the version E. I was particularly interested in the 'v' shape of the top bodice
however the pattern pieces called for three pieces for the front top and three for the back. this was a bit much so i modified this to get the look...

I dare say, I am happy with the result and the fit.

What are they eating?

Close up of fabric flowers

As good a model they look, they are so uncooperative when I try to fit them while making the dress, I keep chasing them around the house but I am finally able to do the fitting somehow. phew... 
Can you see the flowers on the organza, it is formed using very tiny cream beads.

Was going for the purple dress from this simplicity pattern. decide to put my flowers on the waist instead of shoulders. 

To modify the body, i used a basic bodice as above and draw a 2inch 'v' at the waistline. the 2" is added to the fold line and this just slants up to join the normal waistline.

This cake sure is delicious...
My 'V' at the waistline is not as deep as theirs but still OK for me.

Mummy why are you so far up?

Can you see my bow?

This ribbon back view came about because daddy said they dresses always contain a belt, "do something else for a change" ok, i said. so here you have it. from the left side i tack the ribbon down and used a hook and eye on the right so that we can still have the opening when we unzip. although it keeps getting unhooked so i might have to tack it down hoping there is still a bit of space in there for wearing this lovely outfit.

I'm so happy its my birthday

Thanks for coming, if you have enjoyed the post please leave a message.

Monday, 5 March 2012

About me

I am a mother of three children married to the most wonderful man. I live in london, UK.
i love to sew and make dresses for mostly my twin girls and myslef. i make a few things for the 'boys' (husband and son). i am a christain and love Jesus Christ and pray to live for Him always.